Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Bowers room

Bowers big boy room......

Bowers room is probably my favorite room in the whole house! It's graphic, colorful, fun, full of different patterns and very eclectic...all my favorite things!  Kids rooms have a special place in my brain. I obviously love color and contrary to my southern roots, my designs aren't anywhere close to being traditional!  I feel like you can do anything in a kids room.... Regardless of what the rest of your home looks like! So even if your house is more traditional in the main living spaces, don't be afraid to go a little wild in your kids spaces!  
The first thing I bought for this room was the rug (from ikea) I revolved the whole room around it!  I knew I wanted a graphic black and white base with an eclectic mix of colors and art... 



The dresser was Jobys from childhood. I just painted it and got new knobs from hobby lobby.  The cute vintage gum ball machine also belonged to Jobys parents... They found it in their attic and I snatched it right up knowing it would be perfect in his room!  Right now it's filled with all his bow ties.... But there are so many fun things I could put in there... Marbles, race cars, bouncy balls, etc! 

The big painting over the dresser was a wedding gift from one of my very best friends, Curry. We have hung it in many different places over the years, but I think it was destined to end up here. It's pretty perfect in there. 

The curtains are literally black twin sheets from Walmart. $5 each. Can't really beat that! I'm still on the hunt for a fun black and white graphic fabric to put with them... Just haven't found the right thing yet. 



The light is a medium black Decahedron from Art & Soul. One pillow is from ikea (matches the rug) and the other is from hobby lobby (color outside the lines) 
The gray and white chevron sheets are from target and the comforter is just a white duvet cover with a down insert I already had!  And the iron bed is mine from college (it actually just broke, so we are in the process of deciding what to do.... I kind of want to build a rustic barnwood headboard....guess I'll have to blog again for that)  I covered his box spring with a plain fitted black sheet instead of doing a bed skirt... Thought it was more boyish, and I wanted to be able to see as much of the rug as possible. 
His wall art is a bunch of random stuff.... The two framed paintings my mom bought at a yard sale basically just for the frames... But once his room started coming together I decided they were
pretty cute and just kept the art..... Good thing, because come to find out, the artist, Michael P. White, is sort of a big deal. Google him.... He is a children's book illustrator!! His stuff is so unique! Our ORIGINAL paintings are "cowabunga" (a surfer cow) and "toadally sushi" (a sushi eating toad). So cute, right?  
I painted the Dino one and the abstract.  The B is from Tj maxx and the faux moose is from Art & Soul!  

His orange side table is from Art & Soul.


We painted one wall with chalkboard paint and I just drew on it. 

And the other wall has a big world map that I still need to frame (you can see a little of it in the below pic) 

I want to do an old rustic barnwood frame around it.... Which will look cool if we end up building his new headboard that way, too! 
He loves his big boy room and just so you know.....it NEVER looks this clean/put together! 
 
Up next..... Groovers nursery! 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Seriously love this! So cute Rylin (: Teach me how to do abstract painting like this, please! We have a huge empty space over our refurbished mantle that needs an awesome painting like these!

Fawn Over Baby said...

ABSOLUTLEY ADORABLE!! Rylin, seriously "Design Star" HGTV is waiting on you! So in love with Bower's Big Boy Room!

The Crane's Nest said...

Thanks friend 😘